• Q1: How many research grants do exist at the research sector of Kuwait University?
• A1: Faculty members can participate in the following research project types:
o Research Initiation Grant (RIG)
o University Research Project (URP)
o Priority Research Project (PRP)
o Graduate Research Projects (GRP)
o External Research Project
o GCC Joint Research Projects
o National research Project (NRP)
o General Facility Project (GFP)
• Q2: What is the total amount of the grant if I apply for a research grant?
• A2: Each faculty member can apply for three types of project [need to check with the research administration]
o Less than 4000 KDs
o From 4001 KDs to less than 20,000 KDs
o More than 20,000 KDs
• Q3: What are the conditions that I need to satisfy in order to work on a specific research grant for the three types?
• A3: conditions for the three types of projects are listed below
o Less than 4000 KDs, could be evaluated by an internal or external reviewer to CBA, and short time in execution, and researchers need to publish a scientific paper as an output of the project in an international journal, that needs to be listed Ulrichs database (http://ulrichsweb.serialssolutions.com/)
o From 4001 KDs to less than 20,000 KDs: Takes longer time (2 to 3 years) and need to be evaluated by two external reviewers to CBA, and researchers need to publish a scientific paper as an output of the project in an international journal, that needs to be listed in Scopus database (http://www.scopus.com/).
o More than 20,000 KDs: Take longer time for execution, need to be evaluated by three external reviewers to CBA, and researchers need to publish a scientific paper as an output of the project in an A journal (Q1 in JCR of ISI web of knowledge of Thomson Reuters: web site: http://admin-apps.webofknowledge.com/JCR/JCR?PointOfEntry=Home&SID=Y2n8iI9dPN2nJ2pkgHO)
• Q4: What are the top and priority research fields?
• A4: The list of the top and priority research fields is below
o National Information Security and E-government
o Education Curricula and its Output
o Traffic problems with regard to information systems
o Participation of Private sector in development programs
• Q5: How many researchers may work with me on a research project?
• A5: The research team of each of the above projects needs to include at least one PI, and maximum 4 co-investigators (must hold a PhD, and involved in max 4 projects, could be internal or external CoI) and contributors (not a PhD, max 4).
• Q6: Could I benefit from participating in more than one conference paper by fiscal year if I run more than one research projects?
• A6: Even the researcher is involved in more than one research projects, and have more than 1 acceptance paper for participating in more than one conference, rules and regulations allow him/her to participate in ONLY one conference paper by fiscal year.
• Q7: What benefits I can get once I complete a research project?
• A7: participating in research projects allow researchers to participate either in conferences or to bring a visiting expert with full accommodation in a hotel. And these are the amount to participate in conferences:
o 2500 KDs (North & South America), Australia/ New Zealand
o 2000 KDs (Europe, Africa and East Asia)
o 1200 KDs (Middle East, GCC and Egypt)
o The principal investigator receives a premium of 250 KD (1st year, if the project lasts only one year), 150 KD (2nd Year, if it is extended to the 2 years) and 100 KD (3rd year, if it is extended to the third year)
• A8: What benefits I can get if I succeed to publish in an “A journal”, issued from either a sponsored or non-sponsored project?
• Q8: All the authors of a “Q1 Journal” will receive 1000 KDs
• Q9: Can I get 1000 KDs for each journal published in an “A journal”?
• A9: Number of winner papers is limited to 2 “A journals” which guarantee the research team to get 2000 KDs per fiscal year